This album is powered by BubbleShare - Add to my blog

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Reggie's audio message

Listen to Reggie's audio message (posted to our class's discussion board)




To download the file, right click (hover your mouse to this link) here. And click 'Save file as'. After downloading the file, you could transfer it to your mp3 player and listen to it while you're on the go!

"I, myself, am now facing the crisis of losing my mother tongue, Hokkien. I was brought up in a Hokkien speaking family. Both of my parents speak fluently Hokkien. Thanks to my folks, I used to be good at it. Nevertheless, after I leave for studying at a junior college in Taipei county where most resident are the so-called ¡§mainlander¡¨, my Hokkien got rusty a bit by a bit. Over there, somehow, speaking Hokkien would be regarded as a "Taike" literately means ¡§Taiwanese Guest¡¨, a person who is not well-educated, not graceful, and able to represent as a symbol of Taiwanese culture (in a negative way, picture this, a man dressed himself ¡§very¡¨ colorful wearing a pair of flip-flop with betelnut in his mouth).Click here for an image of Taike

The usage of language change causes me a few trouble, despite the inconvenience of switching to Mandarin every now and then so as to express myself whenever speaking to a Hokkien speaker (including my parents), I was twice mistaken as a Hakka and a mainlander because of my rusty Hokkien.

I can¡¦t help but starting to worry about the impact to native language that brought by Mandarin. For the time being, I am speaking Hokkien as a pidgin, but for my next generation is a creole. By then, Hokkien would be a lot different from what Hokkien was in the past. Gradually, Hokkien won¡¦t be Hokkien any more, not to mention other minority languages would be very likely lost in the future. "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home